Types of membership
Acquiris is a member-driven organisation and recognises the following types of membership:
- Principal members
- Associate members
Both principal and associate members are active in the industry of acquiring card transactions in a role for which terminal specification are instrumental, i.e. as acquirer or acquirer processor (principal members) or terminal vendors (associate member). Only principal members have voting rights.
Application for membership
Prospective associate members will apply for membership to the Board of Directors and submit
- A membership request form that will, next to administrative details, confirm in writing that the member is prepared to adhere to the charter
- A detailed description of the member’s activities
- If any, a detailed description of the domains in which the member would project to contribute to organisation’s activities.
Upon receipt of the required documents the prospective member will receive a confirmation of receipt. This date is also considered to be the start of the procedure.
Within one month after the confirmation, the Board of Directors will examine the documents and decide on the prospective member’s acceptance in line with the eligibility criteria. The decision of the board will be communicated in writing to the prospective member, together with a statement on licensing rights and cost-sharing principles.
With respect to Observers, the Board of Directors will decide on a 2/3 majority basis on the acceptance. There are no specific eligibility criteria.
In both the case of a prospective member and prospective observer, the Board of Directors will not expound in their decision.
As part of their enrolment procedure, members will agree on their specific terms when joining the organisation. The details of these terms will be shared with other members.
The Organisation uses clear, transparent and non-discriminatory joining criteria for the admission of new members. The prospect member should:
Duration and termination of membership
- Be a legal entity in and actively (planning to) doing business in the SEPA region;
- Engage in relevant business in the context of the objectives of the Organisation, i.e. be an acquirer or processor of card transactions or a terminal vendor;
- Be an organisation of good standing and reputation and at the time of application not engaged in criminal legal procedures or pending bankruptcy;
- Willingness to accept the membership conditions and rules associated with that. Existing members of the Organisation can have no direct influence on the acceptance of new members for reasons of competition. It is however possible that members bring information to the attention of the Board of Directors which might be relevant in the consideration of the membership.
A membership is assumed to have an infinite duration. A membership terminates however:
- by resignation by the member
- the loss of the member’s legal registration
- exclusion of a member
- dissolution of the association